Lily=Bounty Nanuk=Pandora Bounty's Launch Scale Model Bounty Shipbuilder Hans Ditlev Bendixsen Old Sailing vessels "made up" article John Lyman's article Long Beach and the vessels More Information about the film Questions that remain Sources and Links Thanks!
1929 photo of the Lily and other vessels
Movie vessels from the film The Divine Lady, directed by Frank Lloyd - who later directed The Mutiny on the Bounty in 1935. The much smaller vessel on the left was later the vessel rebuilt to portray the Bounty in the 1935 film.
Text to the photo:
The stern of the old down-Easter Santa Clara can be seen inside the replica of Lord Nelson's Victory that has been built around her for the motion picture The Divine Lady. After further use in Evangeline, when Captain Kiebingat commanded her, this impressive movie ship was laid up. Dismantling has begun at the stern.
The vessel alongside her is the Redoubtable, a movie ship built on the hull of the well-known Alaska Packers barkentine, formerly full-rigged ship, Centennial (built 1875 in East Boston), whose figurehead is on display on the second floor of the museum. The Centennial's round trip to Australia, ending in 1928, was the last commercial voyage ever made by one of these old New England-built wooden square-riggers.
The small schooner on the outside, Lily, was later rebuilt as HMS Bounty.
Source: Sea Letter of the National Maritime Museum San Francisco. Winter 1983 Number 34
As The Divine Lady and Evangeline, both made in 1929, are mentioned in this text the photo was taken later and prior to the Lily being rebuilt as the Bounty.It is possible that the photo is taken at the same shipyard that re-built the Lily as the Bounty, and that this photo is taken just prior to that process, while they were engaged in dismantling the alrger vessels.
The Divine Lady (1929) was a film about the romance of Lord Horatio Nelson and Lady Emma Hamilton. Frank Lloyd won an Oscar as Best Director for this film. The film is said to have exciting reconstructions of Nelson's sea battles. The film was lost in the shuffle during the switch over to talkies in 1929.
Return to First page